Back to News
Pastor D’s Letter August 9, 2020
Ask people what they think of Jesus and they might tell you:
“He’s a great moral teacher.”
“He was the founder of one of the world’s largest religions.”
“He is loving and gracious and kind”
But when you ask people about God, often times you get:
“He is the great Santa in the sky.”
“The God of the Old Testament is a wrathful, vengeful, God.”
“God Judges us”
What is your image of God? Does it take into account what the Bible says about the character of God? A couple of verses I learned as a song might be helpful to you if your image of God focuses on God’s judgment of us.
“Beloved, let us LOVE one another.
For Love is of God,
And everyone who loves is born of God.
He who does not love does not know God,
For God is LOVE.
Beloved, let us LOVE one another.”
1 John 4:7-8
GOD IS LOVE. It is God’s grace that saves us. He gave His only Son, Jesus Christ our Lord, to take the penalty of our sin, asking only that we believe in Him.. (John 3:16)
Jesus Himself told His disciples (John 14:9) “Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.” And again, “I and the Father are one.” (John 10:30)
There is no difference between Jesus and God. JESUS IS GOD. If Jesus is Loving, God is Loving. If Jesus is Gracious, God is Gracious. If Jesus is Kind, God is Kind. But God is also Just and disciplines those he loves..
Don’t limit your image of God. He is a good, good, Father who disciplines his children (you and I) whom He loves. (Hebrews12:6) In return for God’s great love given to us, may we love him with all our heart. And, may we love each other as much as God loves us, and through our love, show the world that we are indeed, children of God.
See you on Sunday if not before.
THIS Sunday, (AUGUST 9, 2020) we will celebrate Communion during our service. If you are worshipping on Facebook, please prepare the elements (bread and juice) in advance of the service and have them ready to partake when invited to during the service.
Tell your friends, we broadcast our service live every Sunday at 9 a.m. on https://www.facebook.com/SierraVistaPresbyterianChurch/.
Worship sheets are available on our website at https://www.sierravistayuma.com/ under the NEWS Tab.
If you wish to receive the newsletter or know someone who wants to receive Pastor D’s Letter, contact the church with that information.
Remember the church still has expenses, is doing ministry, and supporting our mission partners. ONLINE GIVING IS WORKING! You may make an Automatic Transfer from Checking or Savings or give with a Credit or Debit card.
IF YOU JOIN US FOR WORSHIP IN THE SANCTUARY PLEASE OBSERVE:
- MASKS ARE REQUIRED for all who attend worship, except those leading up front. If you forget your mask there are some available.
- There is no need for anyone to risk infection, either receiving it or spreading it. We love to be together, but we prefer that we all be safe and well.
- If you are ill, Stay Home and watch us on Facebook live.
- If you are at risk due to age or health concerns, Stay Home and watch us on Facebook live.
- Remember, there is no Sunday School, Fellowship Time, or Nursery. We hope to start these this Fall.
- We will not be shaking hands or hugging. A warm wave and virtual hug are encouraged.
- We will maintain social distancing. Please do not sit in your usual place, PLEASE SIT ONLY WHERE THE BLUE SHEETS ARE PLACED! And at the conclusion of the service please take the blue sheet with you.
- At the conclusion of the service you will be dismissed by rows, back rows first. PLEASE exit the building promptly and DO NOT MINGLE IN THE CENTER OF THE SANCTUARY OR IN THE NARTHEX.